If it is time to spruce up your home, you might want to consider painting your window frames. Do you know how to paint window frames? If not, we can help!
If your window frames are damaged beyond repair, you might consider total window replacement.
Painting your window frames can give your home a fresh new look. As well, if you are planning to move, it can raise the resale value of your home. Not to mention, it will greatly improve the curb appeal. Consider a fresh color to liven up your home! As well, ask your local windows company about how to remove paint from window frames
Get in touch with NorthTech Windows and Doors today!
Schedule your free, no-obligation quote today or call us +1 780-756-9091
How to Paint Window Frames
You will need the following items to paint your window frames:
- Drop cloth/old towel
- Several small, clean, dry paint brushes
- Medium-grade sandpaper
- Masking tape
- Electric Drill or Screwdriver
- Paint Scraper
Window Frames Painting Process
- Place a drop cloth or old sheet in the work area.
- Using a clean, damp cloth, wipe down the window frame to remove any dirt or debris. For a deeper clean, use sugar soap. This will help both the paint and primer to better adhere.
- Sand away rough edges using medium-grade sandpaper. Using your finger, locate the rough parts and gently smooth them out to prevent imperfections in the fresh paint.
- Using a dry, clean paint brush, remove any dust from the window frame. A toothbrush can be used to get into narrow or smaller areas such as corners.
- Remove the handles and any other hardware to prevent them from getting paint. They can be removed with a screwdriver or electric drill. Make sure to keep the hardware and screws in a safe location so you can easily reaffix them once the paint is dry.
- To prevent getting paint on the window, mask off the window pane using masking tape. As well, this will ensure that you paint the windows frame in smooth, straight lines.
- Apply a coat of primer or undercoat to allow for a smooth finish. Ask the hardware or paint store if they can apply a dye that matches your paint color to the undercoat.
- Carefully paint the window frame, beginning from a designated starting point. Use a small brush with just a small amount of paint. Apply in thin layers and use smooth, gentle strokes. Allow to dry completely before moving on to the next step.
- Apply the top coat in the same manner as in the above step. Make sure to paint the window frame in its entirety. Allow to dry for approximately 24 hours.
- Once the paint is completely dry, you may reattach any hardware to the window frame.
If you follow these steps, your window frames will nicely compliment your home! It’s easy to do. However, if you still have some doubts as to how to paint window frames, do not hesitate to call your local windows and doors company. They can offer expert advice as well as help you find replacement windows for your home!