Does your home have curb appeal? If not, you have come to the right place!
One of the first things people notice about a house is the front door—what colour or style it is, whether it is metal or wood, or if the owner has gone for a traditional or contemporary look.
Your front door says a lot about you as a homeowner. The good news is that revamping or upgrading your front door according to the latest trends is not difficult or expensive.
Ready to get your creative juices flowing? Below is a collection of ideas to help you update your front door with the latest trends.
1. Buy a can of colourful paint
Are you updating on a budget? One of the quickest and easiest methods to up your curb-side game is to paint your door. Big, bold colours are definitely in this season, so get creative and choose a bright paint colour that stands out from the rest of your home. Make sure to pick an exterior paint that will work with the material you are working with; there are paints and primers for steel, fibreglass, and wood.
How to do it:
- Pick up one quart of gloss or semi-gloss paint. These two types are known for being the most durable as the sheen holds up against surface damage and tends to make the colour more vibrant.
- Although you can paint your mounted door, removing the door and all of the hardware will give you a better finish because you don’t have to worry about seeing the brush marks around the knob or brackets. It will give a professional and smooth look to your paint and won’t look cheap at all.
- Sand the door lightly to get rid of old paint drips, nicks, and dents. It is also a good idea to wash your door before you begin and after you sand so the paint doesn’t appear gritty when you apply it over the door. Remember, like the step above, the more you do to make the paint sit as smooth as possible, the better it will look in the long run.
- Apply a primer; wait for it to dry. Primers help the paint stick.
- Protect your door while it dries so dirt particles don’t stick to it (that is, don’t leave it outside unprotected from dirt and dust).
2. Channel your inner steampunk
If you haven’t heard, industrial chic is trendy right now. Why else would trough-style sinks be appearing in the average kitchen or barn doors be sliding into bedrooms everywhere? Homeowners are interested in having a home that is both artistic and functional at the same time.
If you are looking to create a look that’s both cool and contemporary, consider a metal front door. While new ones can come at varying costs, there are a plethora available on sites like Kijiji that will give you the vintage feel without costing a lot of money. With the modern trend going strong, black steel is a favourite, although copper and stainless steel front doors are acceptable choices as well.
Honestly, the more your front door looks like the porthole to the industrial revolution, the better.
Get in touch with NorthTech Windows and Doors today!
Schedule your free, no-obligation quote today or call us +1 780-756-9091
3. Creating an “open concept” look
Besides painting your door, another cost-effective method to help you update your front door with the latest trends is creating an open concept look. If you live in a dated house with the classic double front doors, then you definitely understand the struggle of not having enough natural light. As a way of introducing more light into your home, this trend involves taking the existing double door design and converting it into a standard front door size with a glass side panel. Instead of buying a new door and window system, this idea only requires you to purchase the new window and spend the difference on a groovy colour to spice up your pre-existing door.
4. Pivot doors
As they have gained in popularity, you may have seen or heard of pivot doors in the last few years—a large-scale, floor-to-ceiling door that rates on a pivot box rather than a traditional set of hinges. Perfect for giving your front door a well-deserved pop, pivot doors give off a modern, otherworldly vibe that offers a seamless, streamlined feel to your home. Not to mention that their versatile design offers homeowners a feeling of connectedness with their indoor/outdoor spaces.
Unfortunately, a pivot door is expensive and mostly used in high-end or custom homes that have the luxury of an expendable budget. However, if your dream is to incorporate this trend into your home, nobody is stopping you from making it a reality.
5. Organic or recycled material only
Everyone can agree that global warming is a problem that is not easily solved. That is why trends in front doors are leaning toward a reuse, recycle, and reduce approach to home improvement projects. Natural wood and glass or second-hand doors (metal or barn doors) are in high demand for homeowners who are conscious of the waste they and their neighbours produce.
For an environmentally conscious, contemporary look that simultaneously enhances the appearance of your home and allows plenty of natural light inside, consider a wood and glass panelled front door. Wood is known for being energy efficient and completely organic (obviously), not to mention that it is easier to paint or maintain than other door options. Additionally, since wood expands and contracts with its environment, it is considered to have more sustainable qualities because it is especially good at creating a seal between the outside and inside.
Updating your front door with the latest trends is easy! Mix and match your favourite and really get into the creative mindset when creating your custom look. If you are interested in talking to a professional about door options or installation, call North Tech Windows and Doors today at (780) 756-9091!