Choosing the right exterior doors for your home is a challenging process. There are many options and many factors to take into consideration. However, the right exterior doors can increase your home’s value, appearance, and even energy efficiency. The right door will help your home make a great first, and lasting, impression. Looking for where to begin? Here are some tips for choosing the best exterior door for your home!
Do Your Research
Looking around online and gaining as much knowledge as you can before actually shopping will give you a good idea of what you’re looking for, saving you time and maybe even money.
Here are some examples of questions to ask yourself before you shop:
- Do we want a door that swings inwards (inswing) or outwards (outswing)?
- What kind of materials (usually wood, steel, or fiberglass) suit our needs and budget?
- Do we want a left- or right-handed door?
- Do we want a glass or other panels on the door?
Another way to help you choose is to identify why it is you need a new door. Perhaps it’s physically obvious through rotting, warping, or holes that it’s time to replaces your old door(s). But it may not be that obvious. A major reason to replace your current door is if it lets in drafts. If your door is allowing a draft, it will lead to increased heating and cooling bills throughout the year, which no one wants!
Choose the Right Material
As noted above, part of your research should involve learning about what materials are available. There are three main choices: wood, fiberglass, and steel. Each has its unique pros and cons.
- Wood: Wood doors look traditional and classy. They can create a great look for your home. They are usually quite secure and sturdy. Wood does, however, require a lot of maintenance, including regular staining.
- Steel: Steel is the strongest and most secure material. Steel doors are weatherproof and provide the highest level of energy efficiency.
- Fiberglass: Fiberglass doors are energy-efficient and easy to maintain. There are many options when it comes to choosing the look of your fiberglass door, including wood grain options.
Choosing the right material for your new door will come down to your personal needs and preferences concerning aesthetics, cost, security, and energy efficiency.
Use hardware to give your new doors a bit of a boost! Add-ons like decorative glass, knockers, handles, and mail slots can greatly increase the functionality and appearance of your new doors.
Give your exterior doors a unique look by adding an antique knocker or handle. Increase light inside by adding glass sidelights or transoms. Increase security with a smart doorbell or lock. There are many options out there, and many ways to personalize your exterior doors.