Buying and moving into a new home can be an exciting experience. You get a clean slate to decorate, renovate, and create a space that is truly your own.
For those buying an older home, there may be some mandatory changes you need to make. Depending on how well the former homeowners took care of the house and the quality of the materials that were used to build the house, you may need to make some replacements.
One important replacement decision that you’ll have to make is whether or not to buy new windows. But, how can you really tell if you need to? The following will outline how you know if you need to buy new windows when moving into a new home:
- Your windows don’t open properly
- You have difficulty closing your windows or keeping them shut
- You experience drafts due to air leakage in or around the window
- There is a buildup of condensation between the panes of the glass
- The glass is always fogging
- The windows are painted shut
- There are stains or deterioration that can’t be fixed
- Chips in or around the window
- The style of the windows don’t match the aesthetic you want
- They are difficult to clean
- Your current windows aren’t energy efficient
If you are experiencing any or all of the above issues, you know you need to replace your windows.
Once you know what you need to do, the question is, how do you know what new windows to buy? The below are some things that are necessary to consider when shopping for windows:
- Type of glass-gas filled, tints, insulated, low-emissivity, or reflective coatings?
- Amount of panes-single, double, or triple?
- Type of frame-Vinyl, wood, aluminum, or a combo?
- Style of window-casement, fixed, pivoting, double-hung, or sliding?
- Warranties-protect your investment
Now that you know you have to replace your windows and what kind of windows you want to buy, you need to decide who you want to buy them from. This is an important area in which you will need to do a little homework. Check reviews, ask around, and reach out to a reputable window installer to get a quote.
When moving into a new home, making renovations should be as easy as possible. When determining whether you need to replace your windows, follow the above tips to make an informed decision. You want to increase the value, functionality, and aesthetic of your new space, and buying new windows can assist you with this goal!
For more information, contact the NorthTech Windows team today.